Technical terms used by clinicians may confuse individuals who have chronic wounds. Here are some common ones.

Individuals who live with chronic wounds, often known as sores, have a lot of technical terms thrown at them from their clinicians. If you are ever confused by what your caregiver has told you about your current condition, you’re not alone. Here are some of the most common terms you may hear:

Necrotic tissue

The word necrotic comes from the Greek word necrosis, which means dead or death. Necrotic tissues refers to both dead and unhealthy skin tissue, and can be a combination of both on a particular wound.

This type of tissue can be a byproduct of a wound that has a hard time healing itself. This can be due to a lack of blood flow to the wound site, an unhealthy immune system or insufficient care to the wound.


This word refers to the removal of damaged tissue, which can include infected or dead tissue. Debridement can also define the removal of a foreign object from the wound – things such as a bullet, a piece of wood or a rusty nail. When a clinician speaks to you about a debridement, they are discussing the option to remove some of the tissue around sore or wound that may be limiting its ability to heal. Debridement can often include a minor procedure.

Some patients may have also heard about enzymatic debridement. These procedures involve the use of a topical treatment that will help dissolve any of the unhealthy skin or tissue around the sore.

VAC therapy

Some sores are treated via a VAC therapy. This option uses a negative pressure on the wound which helps to speed up and promote the healing process in the wound site. This process is used for burn sores and wounds in particular, but can be successful for a number of chronic wounds.

Advanced Tissue is the nation’s leader in delivering specialized wound care supplies to patients, delivering to both homes and long-term care facilities.