Cutting-edge tech devices are making headlines – but not for the reason you may think. The news has been buzzing about many of today’s hottest gadgets not for their explosive popularity, but for their tendency to actually explode.

Fitbit goes up in flames

From smartphones – like the notoriously flammable Samsung Galaxy Note 7 – to hoverboards, a growing number of trendy electronics are putting consumers at risk for burns. Recently, a Milwaukee woman experienced this phenomenon firsthand when her step-tracking device erupted while she was wearing it, according to ABC News. The result? Painful, serious second-degree burns.

“I was literally just sitting and reading when my Fitbit exploded. It was either defective or really mad I was sitting still so long…I don’t know. Either way, It burned the heck out of my arm,” Dina Mitchell, who had received the watch as a gift, explained to ABC News.

Mitchell was taken to a local urgent care clinic for wound care, where she discovered that some of the watch’s plastic had melted into her laceration, reported the source.

Protect your family from burns caused by electronics

While Mitchell’s story is disturbing, it’s not unique. Plenty of people around the world have had similar – or more severe – experiences with their innovative tech tools, largely due to faulty lithium ion batteries. Although this type of battery has been around for some time, the newer, more lightweight versions have frequently been to blame for explosions, explained USA Today.

Fortunately, all it takes is staying informed and vigilant to prevent your own family from getting burned. The source recommended taking the following steps to ensure your safety:

  • Let electronic devices charge on non-flammable surfaces, like tables or countertops, as opposed to an easily combustible space, like a bed or upholstered chair.
  • Stay aware of recalls on electronic gadgets, and always follow directions that instruct you on how to return or dispose of a potentially flammable item.
  • If you’ve dropped or otherwise damaged your smartphone or tablet, bring it to a professional technician for a thorough inspection. Even if your gadgets look OK on the outside, their internal batteries could be at risk for exploding.

If you do experience a fire from an electronic device, seek burn wound care from a clinician. He or she can properly dress your wound and ensure it heals properly.

Advanced Tissue is the nation’s leader in delivering specialized wound care supplies to patients, delivering to both homes and long-term care facilities.