Wearing a mask for long periods of time can create skin problems
Recently, many healthcare professionals went to universal wearing of surgical masks in buildings. Some staff are experiencing reactions to the masks such as headaches, nausea from carbon dioxide overload and skin.
How to Avoid Skin Problems When Wearing a Mask
- Wash your face before applying mask
- Apply moisturizer
- Use make up only in eye area not covered by mask
- Reapply moisturizer when you safely can after removing mask
Preventing Rashes from Wearing Face Masks
- Keep your skin clean, dry and free of sweat.
- Use moisturizer and barrier creams such as zinc ointment
- Relieve the pressure from the mask every two hours
- If you feel the mask rubbing, take it off as soon as you safely can